Some pictures maybe….

 

This is a common scene.  

One of the new metal homes which are commonly replacing destroyed stone buildings.

    
This is the new house the man I spoke with is building for his parents. Their fallen down home in the foreground.

 
And just for fun…….You really don’t want to meet a yak going in the opposite direction on a suspension bridge. 

5 thoughts on “Some pictures maybe….

  1. Great pictures, but sad to see still such need for rebuilding after that length of time. Sure glad I didn’t meet a yak on “my” suspension bridge!

    • Indeed the rebuilding will be going on for a few more years. The devastation was I think rather more extensive than any of us realized from news reports. A huge complication is that all the government to government donations from various nations such as Canada are tied up in red tape. It is very difficult for people to get any real financial assistance. Seems like about 30% of the funds may eventually get to intended rebuilding targets. The other 70% is lining pockets of corrupt politicians and is being spent in beurocratic administration fees. NGO funds which were deposited into Nepali banks are similarly held up. An NGO operation in Nepal will go to get their money – large sums of it – and be told either no they can’t have that much all at once or that there are admin fees so they will not receive the entire amount they should. Complicated and very frustrating for people in remote areas trying to rebuild. We (my friends who were so generous when I asked for help) may have contributed very little in the grand scheme of things but at least every cent went to the intended destinations and helped when help was really needed. I met a retired Gurkha who is head of a core of Gurkha engineers still deployed in various villages offering rebuilding assistance – in advisory roles. He provided me with some insights into some of the complications. Not only has assistance failed to yet arrive to many, the simple matter of transporting a bag of cement can take many days….often on the back of a mule. Now let’s not get me going on the subject of exhausted mules being worked much harder than they should be bringing building supplies to remote communities because that is a whole other issue. To walk past a mule, fallen on the path, it’s sides heaving under two heavy bags of cement, it’s eyes closed, it’s head outstretched – gasping it’s last breaths – tough to see. Too tough for me. Yes rebuilding Nepal is a very complicated story and it will be a long hard one.

  2. Hi Brenda. Government aid has been extremely slow. Government to government and much NGO international aid also still not getting to people or regions who need it. Everything tied up in red tape. Massive amounts of paper work to be done for very small hand outs. Very difficult for NGOs to get large amounts of funds from banks…. Complicated and frustrating for all concerned. The common feeling is that some of the donated money will never reach its targets. Glad we avoided all that with our small but direct approach.

  3. Very sad so much destruction. is still apparent. The Nepalese have such stamina and resilience. Must be hard to see all this Kim. Has there been any help from the government to rebuild ?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s